The Kingdom

This war and terrorist issues in the Middle East is starting to get old for a movie, at least that’s what I think. You shoot them, they shoot you back… it’s an endless exhausting cycle and it will PROBABLY stop when some super villain from outer space come over for their yearly match and start to shoot at every human being in sight.

Long story short, The Kingdom was about a bunch of FBI agents trying to look for a man that was responsible for killing a group of American along with one of their agent in a mass shooting and bombing at the Saudi Arabia. The guy was an Osama wanna-be and this movie is pretty much about their experience being in the Kingdom trying to solve a crime.

The fact that the movie started with a 2 minutes lesson about why the terrorist do what they did was enough to turn me off. I get it, you want to tell people why they bomb other people, but can’t you make it in a movie-ish way? Must you make me sit through a history class to do that?

Watching the Kingdom, I did not connect with any of the FBI agents at all which is disappointing because I’m a huge fan of Jennifer Garner. They were just there in the movie, running around shooting at people or talking to each other, but for some reason none of them made any impression on me. I don’t know them at all, I have no idea why they do what they did and I have no idea what kind of person they are. They made no effort introducing these agents to the audience, except one which is the character played by Jamie Foxx but that is not enough because he wasn’t the only one in the field, Duh!

I must say that this movie is an action movie and nothing more. Even the actions aren’t that impressive either. Some bombing, some shooting, some car being blew up, some guys being punch here and there, and that’s about it. You don’t really have to go Saudi Arabia just to get that kind of action. My point is it wasn’t good enough. It was a weak attempt to make a grand action movie and as a result, it came out as a yawn. Despite the fact that there’s blood everywhere, it still made me yawn.

However, I love it that they showed the honest truth about both side’s promises to kill during the ending. No lame statement such as “We will fight for justice” what so ever. Just a simple “Don’t worry, we will kill them all.”

All and all, the movie is a 2.5 out of 5 stars.

1 comment:

elpi said...

yes, i agree with you this movie want to deliver a lesson about why terrorist want to kill people through bombing.