Beowulf

I remembered a long time ago, I was watching Ellen DeGeneres talking about expectations. She said that by having expectations, you’ll easily get disappointed. Without having any however, if something goes well, you’ll be surprise and delighted. Typical Ellen, she made me laugh before she proceeds to dancing around with her audience. I didn’t think much of what she said until after I watched Beowulf.

Buying the ticket to watch Beowulf, I have no expectation what so ever. Not for a second that it crossed my mind if the movie will be good or not. I wasn’t curious about the movie at all. Sitting comfortably in my seat, all that I could think was, what on earth does ‘Beowulf’ mean? And then, the movie starts…

Beowulf was actually a hero. His name, Beowulf actually meant, be wolf. More like Achilles, legendary and well known all over the world. He was obnoxious, arrogant and confident with his ability and reputation. And he came to aid a country that was in terror for being constantly visited by a vicious and ruthless monster called Grendel. Beowulf proudly announced that he will kill the monster, and the story went on…

This movie is different compare to most animated movie that’s out there. It was like a bed time story that you read for your kids with dragons, mermaids and monsters in it but also with a touch of extreme violence and a little ‘adult’ish. I suppose that’s why they even put a warning sign at the ticket counter saying that Beowulf is not a suitable movie for kids!

Trough the entire movie, I was in awe. The story was entertaining and it got my undivided attention. I was interested to know what will happen next and not for a single second that I was bored.

I love the computer animation. It was terrific and almost real. Amazing what they could do now a day with technology, huh? Combined with the sound’s effect, the movie became almost hypnotizing, especially when Grendel’s mother made her appearance. It was breathtaking.

From having no expectation at all about the movie, I came out very pleased and excited. Beowulf was extremely fun and satisfying, not to mention adrenaline pumping! For a magical tale, Beowulf managed to stay away from any cliché and cheesiness. I couldn’t find any flaw in it. What can I say? It was a good movie.

Ellen was right after all. Without expectations, you won’t get disappointed. If you’re lucky, you might even feel amaze! So, I hereby award Beowulf 5 stars!

No comments: