I Am Legend

The trailer captured my heart and I just couldn’t wait for this movie to come out, which is why the very day I Am Legend was showing in town, I wasted no time and went to watch it. I just couldn’t wait to find out about what actually happened and why is Will Smith a legend… I mean, Dr Robert Naville, played by Will Smith.

It started with the scene of a strangely quite and abandoned looking New York. With cars lining up on the road as if there was a silent traffic jam going on. You know, without horns or people swearing and cursing urging everybody to move on. And I thought, cool! And they got my attention. For a while, at least…

30 minutes through the movie it hit me. It was like watching the Cast Away! Except that I like Will Smith better than Tom Hanks. The only thing that made this movie a little bit more bearable compare to the Cast Away is the fact that Will Smith’s companions was a lively and adorable dog name Samantha which is way more interesting to watch compare to Wilson the volleyball.

Will Smith is a great actor, I always think that and in this movie he was no less. I applaud the way he played his character. However, I must say that the best actor in this movie is Sam the dog. More than once I kept thinking, this dog is good! Seriously, she can act! She almost made me cry.

Let’s talk about the reason why New York was deserted in I Am Legend. This actually reminds me of the Resident Evil. Human were infected by some deadly virus and turned into zombies resulting to the extinctions of mankind. I was disappointed though by the fact that their zombies were to computerized and they are not spooky at all.

To top that disappointment, the ending was too abrupt leaving me asking “Why? Why? Why must they end it that way?” again and again. The whole movie was going in a snail pace and when things got a little exciting, they ended the movie! Now, that was just mean!

I can’t say this movie is bad, because I don’t think that it was that bad. It was slow, I give you that. Still, I was touched by Dr Robert Naville and Sam’s loneliness and will to survive. But I do think that it could be better especially the ending. So, although I was greatly disappointed, I won’t tell you not to watch this movie at all. Just don’t expect a masterpiece because the movie is no where near as exciting as the trailer.

I hereby give I Am Legend 2.5 stars out of 5.

1 comment: